Best Practices for Chain Drive Lubrication
Chain Drive Lubrication
Mainly, chain drives are used for the transmission of power. They are used in different types of industries to slide, carry, push, pull or move the different materials from one end to another. They can also be used to synchronize the moments of different parts of the machine. Being an integral part of the industry, chain drive lubrication is very much important.
What is Chain Drive?
Before starting the topic it is important to understand the basics!
So, let us first understand what is a chain and the basic functions of a chain.
To begin with, chains are a series of links connected to one another by pin joints.
They are used to perform the three basic functions:
1. Transmitting power,
2. Conveying materials and
3. Timing purpose.
Chain drives consist of a series of chains that are wrapped around the two sprockets. They are used to transfer the power from one component to another.
Applications of chain drives
Mostly, chain drives are used for the transmission of power. They are used in different types of industries to slide, carry, push, pull or move the different materials from one end to another. They can also be used to synchronize the moments of different parts of the machine.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Chain drives
- Chain drives can be used for short as well as long-distance applications.
- It can operate effectively at high temperatures.
- Easy to install than belts.
- They can withstand abrasive conditions.
- They are simpler and less costly than gear drives.
- Chain drives are noisy can cause vibrations inside the machine.
- Frequent lubrication is required.
- Require precise alignment.
- Their service life is less as compare to gear drives.
- Load-carrying capacity is less as compare to gear drives.
How chain drives fail?
- If a chain dive is overburdened in tension and get stretched or pulled very badly.
- Little cracks will develop in the links or in sidebars of the chain drive if it is repeatedly loaded in tension or stress.
- Solid particles, debris or foreign materials can cause wear and result in the failure of chain drive. Also, abrasion and corrosion can be the root cause of chain drive failure.
Need for Chain Lubrication
- Lubrication of chain drives is important mainly to reduce the wear between the pins and bushings of the chain joints.
- It also helps to flush out the solid particles, wear debris and foreign materials to smoothen the functioning.
- It is also needed to inhibit rust and corrosion and to carry away heat.
Let us understand different lubrication methods for Chain Lubrication
For Chain lubrication, the selection of a perfect lubrication method is important in order to maximize both the operational life and efficiency of the chain drive.
To let you know, there are different lubrication methods.
One can select the best method depending on various factors such as operating temperatures, chain speed, working environment, cost and other various preferences.
1. Manual Chain Lubrication
In this method, chain lubrication is done manually by using a brush, oil cans or aerosol spray. The gap between the inner and outer link plates of chain drives needs to get lubricate manually. It is one of the most cost-effective options for chain drive lubrication.
2. Oil Bath Lubrication
In this type of lubrication, the chain drive is installed in an enclosure and then the bottom of the chain drive dips into an oil basin or tank, forcing the chain lubricant into the chain joints. This is the most effective method as the whole chain drive is being lubricated thoroughly.
3. Drip Lubrication
4. Force-Feed Lubrication
In this method, a continuous spray of oil is supplied to the chain drives with the help of oil feeding pipes.
Though it is the most costly method, it is effective for the performance and life of the chain drives.
There are a variety of lubrication options for different applications.
However, the selection of the perfect chain lubricant can affect the performance as well as the life of the machine.
Mosil Lubricants has 40 years of excellence in the lubrication industry, we are Specialty Lubricant Manufacturers, our team recommends the best solution by studying several factors and the applications.